Three Charged with Capital Murder in Shooting of 15-Year-Olds

Three people have been charged with capital murder in a shooting that killed two 15-year-old boys and injured two others in May in South Los Angeles, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced today.

Cristian Ivan Macias (dob 2/19/99), Nancy Joanna De La Rocha (dob 12/4/91) and Edwin Federico Loza (dob 1/26/99), all residents of South Los Angeles, each face two counts of murder and two counts of premeditated attempted murder, according to the amended criminal complaint in case BA468865.

The charges include special circumstance allegations of multiple murders and that the defendants were active members of a street gang who carried out the crime to further the gang’s activities, making them eligible for the death penalty. The complaint also alleges that Loza personally and intentionally discharged a firearm, a handgun, in the attack.

De La Rocha and Loza are scheduled to be arraigned today in Department 30 of the Foltz Criminal Justice Center. Macias pleaded not guilty to the charges in July and has a preliminary hearing setting scheduled today in the same courtroom.

Charges were filed against De La Rocha on June 18, against Macias on Sept. 20, and against Loza on Nov. 16. The court denied bail for all three defendants.

On May 13, Macias allegedly had a confrontation with a group of teenage boys on a public street, according to Deputy District Attorney Michael Michelena of the Hardcore Gang Division. After leaving the area, Macias allegedly returned with his co-defendants in a vehicle a short time later and found the teens walking in the 300 block of West Manchester Avenue near the 110 Freeway.

Loza is accused of then opening fire on the victims with a handgun, the prosecutor said.

Lamarrion Upchurch and Monyae Jackson were killed, and the other two boys, who were also 15 years old, were hit and injured by the gunfire. All four victims lived in the South Los Angeles area.

The defendants were individually arrested over the following months.

They each face a possible maximum sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole or death if convicted as charged. A decision will be made at a later date on whether to seek the death penalty.

The case remains under investigation by the Los Angeles Police Department, South Bureau Homicide.

Father Charged With 4-Year-Old Daughter’s Death

The father of a 4-year-old girl was charged today with her death over the weekend in South Los Angeles, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Charles Richard Lee (dob 4/15/95) was charged in case BA473340 with one count of assault on a child causing death. He is scheduled to be arraigned today in Department 30 of the Foltz Criminal Justice Center.

Deputy District Attorney Colby Cano of the Complex Child Abuse Section, Family Violence Division, is prosecuting the case.

Prosecutors said the victim was dropped off at her father’s home in the 1500 block of East 42nd Street several weeks ago. Over the course of that time, Lee allegedly physically abused her.

On Dec. 2, paramedics responded to the home where they found the girl unresponsive and took her to a nearby hospital.

If convicted as charged, Lee faces a possible maximum sentence of 25 years to life in state prison.

The case remains under investigation by the Los Angeles Police Department.

Former NFL Player Pleads, Sentenced for Attempted Murder Of Ex-Girlfriend in La Verne

A Pomona man was sentenced today to eight years in prison after he admitted to trying to kill his former girlfriend this summer in La Verne, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.

Brandon Browner (dob 8/2/84) pleaded no contest to one felony count of attempted murder and two misdemeanor counts of cruelty to a child in a negotiated plea agreement. Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Bruce F. Marrs immediately sentenced him and issued a 10-year protective stay-away order for the victims.

On July 8, Browner broke into his ex-girlfriend’s apartment in La Verne. He was accused of chasing the victim, dragging her and then smothering her in a carpet. Her two children were present when the attack occurred.

Browner, a former NFL cornerback, fled the residence but was later arrested.

Deputy District Attorney Kelsey McKeever-Unger prosecuted case KA118551.

The La Verne Police Department investigated the case.

Man Shot & Killed at Wedding Reception; Detectives Search for Witnesses

Members of the Fresno County Sheriff’s Office Crime Scene Unit have identified the victim of a recent shooting. He is 36 year old Reynaldo Alonso Franco of Madera.

Around 10:00 pm on Saturday, dispatchers at the Fresno County Sheriff’s Office received a report that gunshots had been fired and a person was hit. Deputies responded to a home on the 2600 block of S. Marks Ave in Fresno. There they found an outdoor wedding reception taking place. As deputies pulled up, guests made up of both adults and children, began leaving in vehicles. A small number of guests stayed at the scene. Deputies were directed to the gunshot victim, later identified as Reynaldo Franco. Deputies and EMS personnel provided medical treatment to Franco, but he died at the scene.

Homicide detectives and members of the Crime Scene Unit responded to the house to begin an investigation. Detectives interviewed those who remained at the scene. Crime scene technicians collected evidence. Detectives learned there were as many as 250 to 300 people at the reception and would like to speak with anyone who left the home following the shooting. Details that guests saw, heard or captured in pictures / video can prove to be valuable in helping to solve this case.

Detectives are still trying to determine a motive behind the shooting, but they have discovered that the victim was not targeted at random. This remains an ongoing investigation.

Anyone with additional information on the suspect(s) in this case is asked to contact the Sheriff’s Detective Adam Maldonado at (559) 600-8208, Crime Stoppers at (559) 498-7867 or You will remain anonymous and may be eligible for a cash reward.

Local Transient Charged in Attempt Homicide Case Against Fellow Transient

Local transient charged in attempt homicide case against fellow transient

In the early morning hours on Thursday, November 1st, 2018 a stabbing victim arrived at San Leandro hospital with serious head wound he sustained during a verbal altercation.

San Leandro Police officers were dispatch to the hospital and met with the victim who advised he has been attacked and stabbed by a known individual with a hatchet. The victim suffered a large laceration on his forehead and had a fractured skull. The patient was immediately transferred to Eden Medical Center for advanced care.

Officers located the scene of the crime in the 1600 block of Alvarado Street based on information provided by the victim. Video surveillance was located from a nearby business that had recorded the attack. The video showed a male suspect, accompanied by a female friend, assaulting the victim. A description of the two subjects was distributed by detectives.

The following day, on November 2nd, SLPD officers on patrol in downtown San Leandro located the suspect and his female companion at a local gas station in the 1100 block of E14th Street, just blocks away from the original crime scene.

The male suspect was identified as 30 yr-old Trevor Vee of Berkeley. Vee was taken into custody and booked for attempt homicide charges. The female companion was identified as a witness to the incident and is cooperating with the investigation.

On Monday, November 5th, the Alameda County District Attorney charged Vee with Assault with a Deadly Weapon to include great bodily injury, and several felony enhancement charges.

Vee is a “third strike” offender and remains in custody at Alameda County’s Santa Rita Jail in Dublin.

San Leandro Walmart Shooter Faces Three Life Sentences

On Friday, September 21st, 2018, The Alameda County District Attorney charged 29-year-old Israel Jaquez with attempt murder, along with several other gun enhancement charges. Also, Jaquez was on probation for prior felony offenses when he committed this crime, resulting in additional enhancements.

Due to the nature of the crime and Jaquez’ criminal history as a third striker, he could face up to three life sentences if convicted of these new offenses.

The incident occurred on Sunday, Sept 16th, around 12:35 pm, when San Leandro Police units responded to Walmart at 15555 Hesperian Blvd. after numerous calls of a shooting in the parking lot. When officers arrived, they located one victim who had been shot once in the neck. The victim was conscious and alert and was provided medical attention immediately.

The victim was transported to Eden Medical Center in Castro Valley for further care and treatment. San Leandro Police detectives arrived on scene and began to investigate. Video evidence from Walmart was located which greatly assisted the investigators in learning what occurred.

The video evidence provided information on the suspect vehicle allowing detectives to continue to investigate and eventually learning the identity of the suspect and his whereabouts.

By that evening, 29-year-old Israel Jaquez was arrested in San Jose by San Leandro Police detectives. Jaquez’ vehicle, and what is believed to be the murder weapon was also found.

Detectives transported Jaquez back to the San Leandro Police Department where he was booked for attempt homicide and several weapon charges. The motive for the shooting is still under investigation. The victim’s injuries were not life-threatening as he was treated and released from the hospital.

Israel Jaquez remains in custody at Alameda County’s Santa Rita Jail in Dublin.

Father Shoots Victim After an Altercation During a Basketball Game with his Son.


On October 8, 2018, at approximately 8:30 p.m., officers from Operations Division Midtown were dispatched to the basketball courts at 655 N. Craycroft Road for a report of a shooting. Upon arrival, officers located an adult male on the ground with obvious signs of gunshot trauma. Tucson Fire responded and immediately transported the victim to Banner University Medical Center, however; the victim succumbed to his injuries shortly after arrival. The victim was identified as 29-year-old Vashaun Baker. Next of kin have been notified. Detectives with the Tucson Police Homicide Unit responded to continue the investigation. After processing the scene and speaking with witnesses, they were able to determine that Vashaun was playing basketball with several other individuals when he got into a physical altercation with one of the players. Immediately following the altercation, the other player involved (18-year-old) left the court and called his father, 38-year-old Paul John Alvarez. After learning about the altercation, Alvarez drove to the basketball court alone and asked the players if they knew who had been fighting with his son. Vashaun was still at the court and informed Alvarez that he was the one involved. Alvarez then pulled out a handgun and shot Vashaun multiple times. Alvarez fled the scene in his vehicle before police arrived. During the shooting, one of the rounds struck the hood of an occupied vehicle that was parked in the parking lot. A mother and her 18-month-old child were seated in the front seat of the vehicle. On October 9, 2018, just hours after the shooting, Alvarez turned himself into police. Alvarez was booked into the Pima County Jail on one count of First Degree Murder and two counts of Endangerment.

Homicide Investigation in Tucson: 1 Adult and 2 Teenagers Dead After Gunshots.


The Tucson Police Department is investigating a fatal shooting that occurred yesterday evening on Tucson’s East Side. On November 8, 2018, just before 5:00 p.m., officers from Operations Division East were dispatched to Lakeside Park after the department received multiple 911 calls about a shooting. Upon arrival, officers located three male subjects on the ground with obvious signs of gunshot trauma.

A member of the community was assisting one of the males by administering CPR. Officers immediately took over medical treatment by continuing CPR and utilizing their Individual First Aid Kits (IFAK). Tucson Fire personnel arrived and continued treatment. One of the gunshot victims was pronounced deceased on scene. The other two victims were transported to Banner University Medical Center with life threatening injuries. Shortly after arrival at the hospital, both victims succumbed to their injuries and were pronounced deceased.

The victims were identified as 21-year-old Matthew Favela, 16-year-old Carlos Ross and 16-year-old Amonn Sandoval. Next of kin have been notified. Detectives with the Tucson Police Homicide Unit, Aggravated Assault Unit and Gang Unit responded to continue the investigation. They were able to determine that Matthew Favela, Carlos Ross and two friends drove to Lakeside Park to meet with Amonn Sandoval and an unknown male. Shortly after arriving, they met with Amonn and the unknown male in the west parking lot. After a brief conversation, gunfire was exchanged between the two groups. Favela, Ross and Sandoval were all struck by gunfire. The two friends in the car were uninjured and remained on scene where they spoke with detectives. The unknown male fled before police arrived. It is unknown if he is injured.

Detectives are still trying to identify that individual to get his side of what transpired. Although Gang Detectives assisted with the investigation, this incident does not appear to be gang related. At this time, no arrests have been made. Detectives are continuing their investigation and have spoken with several witnesses who were at the park when the shooting took place. They are now asking anyone else with information to please call 88-CRIME. You can remain anonymous.

Premeditated Murder and Burglary Conviction For James LaPan

James LaPan convicted of Premeditated Murder and Burglary.

In July of 2016, James LaPan and Nicholas Morelos worked together. LaPan had recently gone to the HR department to complain about Nick. He told the HR director that he had ways of taking care of things if HR did not help out.

Late at night on July 17, 2016, LaPan went over to Nick’s home, placed a ladder up against the house, and climbed onto the roof next to Nick’s second-story bedroom windows. LaPan then shot through the windows, eventually crawling through a broken window and into the bedroom, where he continued to shoot at Nick. Nick was shot eight times, with one shot directly to his forehead. Nick’s fiancée found him the next morning.

During the course of the murder, LaPan bled throughout the bedroom area, leaving a trail of his DNA. There were also signs that he tried to clean up the crime scene. The bullets and bullet casings matched to a gun owned by LaPan. An empty box for that gun, along with an empty box for a silencer, was found at LaPan’s home.

This week, a jury returned guilty verdicts for First Degree Premeditated Murder, as well as Burglary. The mandatory sentence for Premeditated Murder is natural life in prison. Sentencing is scheduled for November 2, 2018. This case was prosecuted by Deputy County Attorneys Ashley Culver and Jonathan Mosher.

Lashawn Johnson Sentenced For 1st Degree Murder of Woman He Met on Dating Site

PHOENIX— Today Lashawn Johnson (D.O.B. 06/05/1990) was sentenced to Natural Life for 1st Degree Premeditated Murder, Theft of Means of Transportation, Arson, and Abandonment or Concealment of a Dead Body.

“Lashawn Johnson’s efforts to lie about and conceal his responsibility for the murder of Angela were rightly disregarded by the jury in finding him guilty and, today, the court rightly sentenced him for the senseless taking of an innocent life,” said Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery.

On April 19, 2016 the victim, 24-year-old Angela Russo, went to meet the defendant at his Phoenix apartment after making contact through a dating site. She never returned home from the planned date and family members alerted police to her disappearance.

Investigators were able to determine that Russo last used her phone in the area of the apartment where she was supposed to meet the defendant and the phone was not used after that time. After speaking with the defendant’s girlfriend who also lived at the apartment with the defendant, detectives learned Johnson called her the evening after he was supposed to meet Russo. Johnson asked the girlfriend to pick him up from a convenience store in Tonopah. She told investigators that weeks later the defendant took her hiking out in the desert near Tonopah and the defendant brought her to a burned out car.

Investigators located the burned car in the desert and were able to identify it as the car Russo was last seen driving to meet Johnson. In the same area they found a grave with remains that were later identified as Angela Russo.

Detectives were able to search Johnson’s apartment and found evidence of a homicide inside, with blood in various places inside the apartment including a handprint of the defendant in the victim’s blood. When interviewed, Johnson admitted to seeing Russo the night of her disappearance and later being in the area where her body was found, but denied that he was responsible for her murder. At trial, Johnson claimed that that he had consensual sex with Russo and was interrupted that next morning when his girlfriend returned home from her work shift. He claimed his girlfriend became enraged and she took a knife from the kitchen and killed Russo. He admitted to helping clean up the murder scene.

On August 8, 2017 a jury found Johnson guilty for the murder of Angela Russo as well as all of the charges related to concealing her body and burning her car out in the desert.